Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Sleevegate and other Ramblings..

I've tried seven different times to construct a blog entry today.  It just isn't working for me.  Most likely, it's because I keep getting so annoyed with what's on my mind.  

I got on the Huffington Post today and read about 'Sleevegate'.  Sleevegate is the term used to describe the chaos Michelle Obama has caused in baring her arms in regards to her fashion choices.  I have to wonder why this is a controversy when I can name 10-20 people with no health insurance in less than 20 seconds and I can't even think about owning property in the District of Columbia as the median cost of a house is still sitting between  $475-600K.

Who is concerned with Michelle Obama's arms?  I'd like to know what exercises I can do to tone mine up a little bit.  Were they expecting her arms to look like flabby chicken wings?  When Jackie O ruled the roost at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, sleeveless was the style.  And everyone integrated part of that style into their own; shift dresses, pillbox hats and pearls.  It would be nice to see everyone take some part of Michelle Obama's style and make it part of their own for the time being instead of hating on the woman's arms.  

I don't know why I'm surprised by 'Sleevegate'.  This was a concept of importance, just as 'The Bachelor' finale was last night, *cackling*.  Hmmm, where do I start with the overbronzed fete that is 'The Bachelor'? I'll probably come back to it later, but I'm starting to feel a bit offended.  Like I did when I saw, 'He's Just Not That Into You'.  I'm hoping that most saw that movie for what it was--a piece of fluff for girls to go see together.  But anyway, I'm starting to think that maybe the media doesn't think women can handle anything of actual importance.  Maybe we can only handle dating, fashion and reality romance.  

I'll be the first to admit that sometimes that's all I want to see.  But most often than not, I get glib and annoyed after partaking in it.  Sometimes I want to believe that my most difficult decision I will make that day will be what color nail polish I'll wear.  But I'm not usually allowed to operate that way.  I have a husband, a job, and a brain.  

No comments:

Post a Comment