Sunday, March 8, 2009

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful boy



I was shocked towards the end of September 2007 when Jamie called me.  Jamie never calls me, never answers my calls--that's a whole other blog--but when Jamie called, I answered the phone hastily, expecting the worse.  He was very cheerful and lighthearted which made me even more suspicious.  "Well," he says, drawing out the process of communication even more, "Anna is expecting!"  I was floored! Sophia hadn't turned one yet!  "Sophia's going to be dethroned already?!" I was shaking my head in disbelief.  And yelling at the top of my lungs.  

Jordan and Anna were due to find out whether they were having a boy or a girl the day before Thanksgiving.  Jamie already knew he was going to be this baby's godfather and he was pulling for a boy.  The day before Thanksgiving, I was at school with my mom and I got a call from Jamie.  He was a man of few words, "I'm going to be a godfather."  With that, I knew it was a boy!  Jordan called not 30 minutes later and I said, "I already know it's a boy!" "Did Jamie tell you?" "Well..he didn't but I could tell by what he didn't say.  It doesn't matter, I'm so happy for you!!"  "Joseph William Levinson will be making his appearance in April."

Yeah right! Ha! That's what you all sad sports thought.  Joe made a point to prove us wrong.  After venturing to New York to see the White Rabbits, I got a call from Jordan saying that Anna's water had broken--she was 33 weeks that day.  After trying tocolytics, Jordan called again saying that they were going to let Anna labor through.  We had a long NICU chat and I let him know that the determining factor of what happened to Joe was what happened when he was born.  How much respiratory support would he need?  After I scared him half to death with the possibilities of laryngoscopes and ET tubes, Joe came out perfectly pink, weighing 5 lbs 6 oz.  Oh Joe! Say it ain't so!!

Joseph was born on a Saturday and I had to work that night.  When I came home, I called to check on Joe and Anna and Jordan said he needed to talk to me.  I cringed as my stomach flipped over.  "We would like you to be Joe's godmother, " and I screamed! Anna laughed and said she could hear me through the phone.  Through temporary elation I forgot that Jamie was the godfather.  Thus began the war on Joe and trying to win his affections!  I came home for Easter and met him for the first time, just a peanut. 


Today you are one year old! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment