It's no secret that I'm not the easiest person to get along with *chuckling*. Sometimes I will stop at nothing to annoy, confuse and disgruntle whomever my victim is at the time. While I am immature, I'm not without a conscience. I feel guilt and remorse--just not often. I'm sure it's all an ancient defense mechanism. People fail to realize at times that their words hurt, or at least strike a nerve. Words make you think, feel and react. Words can make someone smile, cry, laugh or key your car. Words can resound within you for days or flush fast through your system as quickly as the blood circulates through your body. Words can start a friendship and build it over time, or end one in 30 seconds or less. They can be the foundation of good things to come or bad things past. Choose your words wisely. Measure your intent carefully because once you say something, you can't take it back. You can only hope that the person on the receiving end will allow you another chance to converse.
Rantings, ravings and fixations of a thirty-something woman in Washington DC. She loves music, art, fashion, and family.
Thursday, March 5, 2009
Stop! The Words You Say May Hurt Someone
Darling take it slow, or someday you'll be all alone! Sing, Michael! I couldn't get that song out of my head as I thought about the title. Anyway...everyday I find something more remarkable about people and how they relate to each other. When someone speaks to you, how much do you filter out? What stays with you, what gets left behind, and what goes in one ear and out the other? Are the words people say further complicated by the nonverbal cues that go along with what's being said?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment