Rantings, ravings and fixations of a thirty-something woman in Washington DC. She loves music, art, fashion, and family.
Thursday, August 20, 2009
Is Altruism dead?
I am beginning to think altruism is dead. I cannot remember the last time I saw someone do something for someone else that was totally outside of their self. When asked, most people stop and think long and hard on whether what you need is an inconvenience or a demand. No one gives of themselves freely without expecting anything in return. What is amiss with human nature? Have we been mutated and watered down into another species, a subhuman group with human tendencies? You are hard-pressed these days to find someone who gives a damn about someone other than him or herself. Everyone wants to know, "What have you done for me lately?" And not only that, "what will you do for me after I have done for you?" Everyone keeps running tabs in their heads of the last good or bad thing you've done for them. I'm not perfect either, I have my moments of selfishness. But there is a wonderful rush you can get from doing something for someone else and expecting nothing in return. There isn't anything that matches that feeling. Except for maybe telling someone you can't do something for them when you know damn well that you can.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment